Monday 16 January 2012

monday links (gingers, languages, new york, new york)



It's been a while since I last managed to shuffle together a deck of links. But here we are, with some truly spectacular essays and a bit of Carey Mulligan thrown in for good measure. Enjoy.


First and foremost, my great love, the ever charming online quarterly The Junket, has a new issue out. So far I've fallen arse over tea kettle for The Red Headed League by Ed Wethered 
(a somewhat tragicomic account of living with red hair) 
and On Not Being Jewish by the brilliant Thomas Marks 
(I suggest going through his back catalogue if you haven't already done so). 



The history of English in ten minutes. (Oh yes. I adore this with ridiculous zeal.)



Speaking in Tongues by Zadie Smith explores the significance of how we speak. (Spectacular. Honestly.)


The multitalented and consistently amazing Carey Mulligan singing New York, New York in the new film Shame. (Heartbreaking and haunting and so beautiful.)  



(Also, I've managed to lose the source of the photo. If anyone knows who took it, I beg you to tell me.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment